Mother nature has thrown our normally mild Northwest summer a curve ball for the last week or so. It has been HOT! Three days this week have been over 100 with the high on Wednesday of almost 107!! That just doesn't happen here... But with the A/C cranking away (thank you, my lovely wife, for insisting on A/C!) it's hardly like it's a hardship, so we can't complain.
The girls are good -- great in fact. Maggie is just over 2 months now, and starting to sleep much better. I can't remember the last night she slept less than 6 hours in her bassinet and more often it's 7-9 hours these days. Another good little sleeper in the making. She has her 2 month checkup today, so we'll see where she comes out on the height and weight scale. She's pretty pleasantly plump from all the nursing, so I'm not too worried. In fact, Deanna just called me from her appointment and said Maggie was 95th percentile in weight and 50th in height. No surprise there!! :-)
Katie is a kick these days. She keeps us hopping and always seems to be coming up with phrases that tickle us to no end. I realize that most parents find everything their own kids say at this age pretty funny, but we still find her quite amusing. Her favorite things these days include blocks, chalk, bubble, coloring, playing ball, playing with water and sand, and absolutely anything outdoors like pulling weeds and going for walks. She doesn't watch a lot of TV, but she does like Pooh, Maisy, Elmo and the Wiggles when she does. She also loves going to story time at the library, sliding at the park and playing in the backyard at the grandparents'. She's a lot of fun these days although she does have her moments and "No" is often the first word out of her mouth (she is 2, after all).
We've had kind of a quiet summer so far with Maggie being so small and my work having picked up significantly these last few weeks. We are planning a two week trip to Vermont at the beginning of September, though, so we're looking forward to catching up with family and friends.
Some our faorite Katieisms include:
"I wanna go outside and talk about it?" - when she has to go poo.
"I am reaally, reaaaaally sleepy, Mommy"
"I scared the bumble bee" - when she means that she's scared of the bumble bee
"Pick you up?" - when she wants to be picked up
"Pick you up, please, please, please??" - after she doesn't get picked up because she didn't say please :-)
There are so many more that I'd love to put here for posterity -- not much funny to anyone but us, but I forget them so quickly after she says them.. Hopefully Deanna will add some more.
Also for posterity, her favorite critters (stuff animals) currently include Pinky Bear, Pinky Monkey, Lamby and sometimes Zebra. She has quite a collection in her crib, and notices pretty quickly these days when one is missing.
She also continues to love books, even books with more words than pictures sometimes. Here favorites recently include Captain Abdul's Little Treasure, The Three Little Kittens, and Go Dog Go. She knows when you've missed a page and will say "We missed a page, I think..." and turn the pages back to check.
Katie and Maggie seem to get along great so far, and Katie is always wanting to kiss, hold, or help change her little sister. There has been a few moments of jealousy, but I think Katie will be a really good big sister.
Sorry for all the detail, but we can't trust our 40-year-old brains to remember this stuff. Click on the picture below to see some recent pics:
Or click here for a larger version of the slide show.
No comments:
Post a Comment